What punishment am I facing for a third-time DUI?
The penalties for each successive DUI over a 10-year period increase exponentially. And there is a big jump in punishment from 2nd to 3rd-time DUI.
When convicted of driving under the influence in California for the third time, the potential penalties are as follows:
- informal (otherwise known as "summary") probation for three to five years,
- a minimum of 120 days to a maximum of one year county jail,
- between $390-$1,000 in fines,
- a 30-month court-approved DUI school,
- a three-year driver's license suspension, and
- designation as a "habitual traffic offender" (HTO) by the California DMV.